In a press release today VMware announced vSphere Data Protection which is a new backup and recovery solution from VMware to be delivered with vSphere 5.1 and is built on industry-leading EMC Avamar deduplication backup software technology. This replaces vSphere Data Recovery (VDR) which was available in prior vSphere releases. It should be interesting the impact this has on the large third-party backup solution community. There are a lot of good solutions in the market today but as VMware continues to improve its offering I would expect a lot users to look at that first as they evaluate their needs. In the end more competition makes all solutions better for the end-user.
From VMware Press Release – News Highlights:
- VMware vSphere® Data Protection™, powered by EMC® Avamar® software, is an all-new backup and recovery solution to be included with VMware vSphere 5.1.
- VMware vSphere Data Protection is tightly integrated with vSphere, simple to set up and can be managed directly from the new vSphere Web Client.
- VMware vSphere Data Protection is ideally suited to protect SMBs and department-level virtualized environments with industry-leading backup and deduplication capabilities.
- VMware selected EMC Avamar software to provide the underlying technology for VMware vSphere Data Protection.
- VMware continues to be fully committed to enabling a rich partner ecosystem for backup and recovery solutions through the vSphere Storage APIs for Data Protection.